Please be aware that the links on this page are present for informational purposes only, and that we are not responsible for the content of external sites. Any opinions that the editors of these sites have are not necessarily our own.
Wildlife and Nature
- Ordnance Survey - if buying paper maps, we recommend the following for Skye:
- OS Landranger / OS Landranger Active Map (1:50,000 - detailed): maps 23 and 32
- OS Explorer / OS Explorer Active Map (1:25,000 - highly detailed): maps 407 to 412
- OS Select (1:50,000 or 1:25,000 customised paper maps)
- Garmin "On The Trail" maps - we recommend the following map products for Garmin GPS units (these should be compatible with at least most newer handheld units, but please check the Garmin website):
- Garmin BirdsEye Select Great Britain (600 square kilometres of 1:25,000 OS Explorer data)
- Garmin GB Discoverer - Isle of Skye (1,50,000 and 1:25,000 OS Landranger, OS Explorer and NAVTEQ data)
- Garmin GB Discoverer 1:50K - Scotland or Garmin GB Discoverer 1:50K - Full Coverage (1:50,000 OS Landranger and NAVTEQ data)
- Garmin Topo Great Britain, Scotland or Garmin Topo Great Britain (multiple-scale Ordnance Survey and NAVTEQ data)
- OpenStreetMap on Garmin - a free alternative to official Garmin maps. May contain features not present in other maps, but requires some technical knowledge in order to transfer it, and may have missing features or contain visible glitches. You may prefer to use it in conjunction with an official Garmin map, for the sake of safety.
- Walk Highlands - explore walking routes and download GPX files for handheld GPS units.